Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Sling



 Ok guys here's my latest craft.  Hope you enjoy :)
I got this idea form my family fun magazine, my kids love to read, and we buy tons of books so we were happy to find a way to store them in a fun creative way.  This craft didn't cost much and it was REALLY easy!!




Here are the fabrics I chose the pink for Emily (of course) and the space ones for Clayton. My sling drops about 20" from the dowel rod and is 45" across I bought a yard of fabric for each sling.


These are the supplies, dowel rods, scissors, measuring tape, fabric, double curtain rod bracket**




** (which I STILL haven't found!) You need one like this:
 
I had to order them online so I hope everyone else finds them easier!



The heat bonding I found in the sewing section of our local craft store I bought a large roll as I plan to use it in other projects, it cost me about $12.

ok now lets get to work!!
 Open up your fabric and lay it print side down on your work area, then fold from outside to center. 
Then cut your heatbond mine was 45"X8" follow the directions for heat bond remembering to place the bonding paper closer to center creating a pocket for the dowel rod. do this to both sides. 

This is the end result:





Cute right!  Not the best picture but you get the idea.   Now just mount your brackets and load the books, Enjoy :)

If you decide to do this craft Id love to see pictures!!



After thought- Since I had trouble finding the brackets I wanted I just went ahead and bought a double curtain rod kit with the brackets and rods included and returned my dowel rods, it ended up working better but was a little more expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment